TCU members’ MNPL contributions lead the way
On the heels of a mid-term election that saw many of TCU’s friends in Congress win re-election, we wanted to highlight our members’ generous contributions to our union’s Political Action Committee (PAC), the Machinists Non-partisan Political League (MNPL).
Through November 1st, 2022, TCU members raised an impressive $265,264 from 1,800 sponsoring members this year (members must contribute at least $25/year to qualify as sponsors). This is the highest total amongst IAM territories, both in terms of dollars-per-member and percentage of total members contributing to MNPL.
“TCU members continue to lead the IAM in understanding the importance of putting our money where our mouth is when it comes to politics,” said TCU National President Artie Maratea.
2022 TCU MNPL – By the Numbers
- $265,264 for MNPL General PAC Fund
- $22,788 for MNPL Education Fund (which pays for member education efforts)
- 1,800 TCU MNPL Sponsors – those that contribute $25/year or more
- ~5% of TCU members are MNPL sponsors (double the percentage of the IAM overall)
TCU members and lodge officers should be proud of the fact that our union leads the IAM in so many metrics when it comes to raising MNPL funds, but we can’t be complacent. It’s clear that only a small percentage of our members are bearing the responsibility of building our union’s political power – and that has to change!
TCU’s Legislative & Political Department has set a goal of at least 10% of our members sponsoring the MNPL by 2024, so we need your help! We must continue to focus on signing up new hires and existing members at a minimum of $5 per month.
How can YOU help?
- EVERY TCU member should be contributing at least $5/month (the price of a cup of coffee) to the MNPL!
- MNPL should be discussed (and sign-ups encouraged) at EVERY Local Lodge meeting!
- If you’re not already signed up for MNPL, please fill out the MNPL deduction form, and email it to MNPL@tcunion.org.
- Want to make a one-time contribution? Please follow this link to the MNPL PayPal contribution portal. (You will need you TCU Membership Number. If you don’t know it, please contact your Local Chairman or email MNPL@tcunion.org).
Why should I contribute to MNPL?
MNPL allows us to support YOUR jobs in the political arena. Everything comes up in Washington DC:
- Amtrak/Commuter/Transit funding.
- FRA safety regulations and laws.
- STB regulations that hold Class 1s/Wall Street accountable.
- Railroad Retirement solvency (your pension), and funding for the RRB.
- Access to affordable healthcare.
- Environmental regulations that hurt rail jobs.
- …and many more issues.
The MNPL makes sure the voices of TCU members – YOUR VOICES – are heard on Capitol Hill and throughout Washington DC. As the saying goes, “if you’re not at the table, you’re on the menu” – and that goes double for politics.